Re: emacs for everything?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: emacs for everything?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 02:39:30 +0000 (UTC)

In article <20041123122715.GC4069@matijek.v10a.ath.cx>,
Alex Polite  <m4@polite.se> wrote:
>On tis, nov 16, 2004 at 06:09:01 +0800, William Xuuu wrote:
>>
>> Me too, :-) The fontify, the fonts, are much much nicer under console than
>> X. And the black background, good for eyes. I do most things within Emacs
>> under console, except interactive bash, and some stuffs that have to be
>> done under X, like viewing pdf, manipulating pictures, web browsing with
>> pictures, etc.
>>

>Try out color-theme.el
>
>http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?ColorTheme
>
>Screenshots are here:
>
>http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~maverick/GNUEmacsColorThemeTest/
>
>Some of the themes are desinged for console displays.

Am a bit confused by the terminology:

Don't "conosole displays" usually run *under* x11?

So, what *is* a "console display"?  What makes a window (er, frame)
a console-display rather than something elsed?

Myself, I'm using a sunblade-100, solaris-9, CDE I think it is,
and am using a "dtterm".  Where does that fit into the vocab?

Now, I can choose something called a (the?) "conosole", which
seems to me to be just another dtterm with the *title* of
"console".

Where does *that* fit into this terminology?

Thanks!

David

PS: I "live" in emacs -- start it up when bring up the
machine, and exit it only when about to take down the
machine.

Even have learned how to use cursor-controlling programs
like more (well, not that one, but you get the idea)
from *shell* by simply piping to cat.