Re: utf-8-fragment-on-decoding

From: Guldo K
Subject: Re: utf-8-fragment-on-decoding
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:35:58 GMT

Reiner Steib ha scritto:
Emacs 21.2 doesn't include `ucs-tables.el' and the functions
`unify-8859-on-decoding-mode' and `unify-8859-on-encoding-mode'.
Probably the version of `ucs-tables.el' comes from a later version of
Emacs and it doesn't fit.

The best solution would be to upgrade to Emacs 21.3.

Thanks for the reply.
I am trying to compile and install 21.3, since I found no debian packages.
I compiled it, but starting the ./src/emacs file it complains about termcap.
I've found info in the /etc/PROBLEMS file:

######
* Emacs does not start complaining that it cannot open termcap database file.

If your system uses Terminfo rather than termcap (most modern systems
do), this could happen if you have an old version of ncurses
installed, or if the newer version is not visible to the Emacs
configure script (i.e. it cannot be found along the usual path the
linker looks for libraries).

The solution is to install a newer version of ncurses, and make sure
the linker can find it.
######

I checked for ncurses, and I do have them installed.
I have all of those packages, ncurses-base, libncurses, ...
(I have no idea what Terminfo and termcap are...)

What's wrong?

Thank you.
--
Guldo