Re: How to send a mail using smtp?

From: Daniel Pittman
Subject: Re: How to send a mail using smtp?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:04:36 +1100

On 20 Dec 2004, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:
>
>> On 19 Dec 2004, Jack@mail.org wrote:
>>> Can you tell me how to config my emacs to send mail by using smtp?
>>
>> That isn't generally the best plan, since using the local sendmail will
>> (usually) still put things in the queue even if the server is down.
>
> Only on Unix systems with a functioning sendmail.  Since Emacs runs
> on all platforms, there are many users without sendmail.  I use OS X
> which has sendmail turned off by default, for example, and I don't
> miss it in the slightest.

IIRC, Emacs still provides a local MTA, though.  I confess:  I used
'sendmail' as a shorthand for "a local MTA", and use Postfix myself.

In any case, using SMTP for submission in your mailer means that,
really, your mailer should implement most of the components of an MTA.

Since there are perfectly good packages out there that already implement
most of an MTA - the MTAs themselves - better to use one of them than
reinvent the wheel badly. :)

         Daniel

--
The world would be a better place if Larry Wall had been born in
Iceland, or any other country where the native language actually