Re: TERM=xterm-256color but emacs=8color

From: kj
Subject: Re: TERM=xterm-256color but emacs=8color
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:35:42 +0000 (UTC)

In <crdne8$ohm$1@reader1.panix.com> kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid> writes:

>In <mailman.10832.1104815808.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> "Eli Zaretskii"
><eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>>> From: kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid>
>>> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 01:30:31 +0000 (UTC)
>>>
>>> Well, I just compiled emacs from the CVS codebase, but when I run
>>> *this* emacs -nw on an xterm that I *know* (thanks to vttest/dynamic.sh)
>>> supports more than 8 colors, *still* list-colors-display shows only
>>> 8 colors.

>>Does it work if you invoke Emacs like this:

>>  emacs -nw --color=256

>>?

>No.  I tried --color=NUM for NUM=0, 16, 88, and 256.  In every case
>list-colors-display showed only 8 colors.

SUCCESS!!!  THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!  The problem was a bad termcap
file.  I got a good one from my xterm's distribution, set TERM to
xterm-256color, and bingo!  list-colors-display now lists a huge
number of colors; I don't even need the --color=256 option on the
command line.

Now I have a new problem.  The Emacs installation that I get from
"make install" is MUCH larger than my ISP's measly disk quota will
allow.  My ISP already provides a full Emacs 21.3.1 installation
in /usr/local/share/emacs, so I was hoping to piggyback on that
installation and only use from my CVS compile the emacs-21.3.50
executable and whatever else it needs to support 256 colors.  But
naively copying the emacs-21.3.50 executable from /tmp/inst/bin to
my $HOME/bin did not work.  emacs-21.3.50 complains bitterly:

    Warning: arch-dependent data dir
(/tmp/inst/libexec/emacs/21.3.50/i386-unknown-netbsdelf2.0/) does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/tmp/inst/share/emacs/21.3.50/site-lisp' does not
exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/tmp/inst/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/tmp/inst/share/emacs/21.3.50/leim' does not exist.
    Warning: Lisp directory `/tmp/inst/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp' does not exist.

I gather from strings emacs-21.3.50|grep that the installation
directory is compiled into the Emacs executable.  So I'll probably
have to recompile Emacs with a different prefix in the configuration,
even though "make install" will be thwarted by the disk quota.

I'm scratching my head about how to get this to go...

kj