Re: Extracting tar files

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Extracting tar files
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:45:18 +0100

Am 06.01.2005 um 05:11 schrieb Kevin M Evart:

I recently downloaded some dictionary files (moby.tar.tar and others).  I find that decompression software available on WindowsXP does not open these achieves.  Could you please provide me with a means of extracting these types of files.

You could try to install GNU tar yourself from http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/ -- or could think about the name moby.tar.tar. Why is it a .tar.tar? I have only Mac OS X so I never think of eXPanding things by applying a method twice -- although Mac OS X has inherited the apply command from BSD.

What are the results when you make the file extension single? Wasn't there once a rename command? Besides R or %r in dired-mode.

--
Greetings

  Pete