Re: Preserving command history between sessions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preserving command history between sessions
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2005 12:21:29 +0200

> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 07:49:55 +0100
> From: GianUberto.Lauri@eng.it (Gian Uberto Lauri)
>
> My wife asked  me if it was possible to preserve  the history (more or
> less like bash does).

What for?  I think shell-like command history is not needed in Emacs,
for the following reasons:

 . Emacs is supposed to be started whenever the user logs in, and then
   never stopped until the machine is shut down or the user logs off.

 . The desktop.el package, if you activate it in your .emacs, will
   cause each session to visit all the files that were part of the
   previous session at the point when the previous session ended.

 . The recentf.el package will add to the "File" menu-bar item the
   names of files that were visited recently, so the user could select
   them from a menu instead of typing the names.

If these features are not enough to solve whatever problems your wife
has, please describe those remaining problems.