Re: Adjusting page length in "Print buffer" command

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Adjusting page length in "Print buffer" command
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:38:52 +0100

Am 17.01.2005 um 07:04 schrieb Tim McNamara:

So my best guess is that, if I want to change the number of lines per
page I would enter something like (assuming the parentheses are
necessary):

     ("-l" "50")

to invoke "pr" with the "-l" flag, specifying 50 lines per page?

No, the parentheses and quotation marks are too much. In the customization buffer make it look like this:

Lpr Page Header Switches: [Hide Value]
[INS] [DEL] String: -F -l 50 -w 60
[INS]
   [State]: this option has been set and saved.

So a page would have 50 line and each one would have up to 50 characters. Then a form-feed (^L) would be inserted to go to the enxt page. Converting it to PostScript would convert it to corresponding PS commands.

After you made the changes don't forget to save it least for this session. That's the moment to try it. If works you should save it for future sessions too, if not you have to iterate the settings for the # of lines and characters per line.

Once the values are saved you can visit them in .emacs in the custom-set-variables section. There you would see

 '(lpr-page-header-switches (quote ("-F -l 50 -w 60")))
 '(ps-paper-type "a4")
                   ^

should better be letter or such non-ISO value
--
Greetings

  Pete

"A lot of people mistake a short memory for a clear conscience."
Doug Larson