Re: emacs calculator

From: B.T. Raven
Subject: Re: emacs calculator
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:40:47 -0600

"Peter Dyballa" <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote in message
news:mailman.13583.1105927733.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...

> Am 15.01.2005 um 23:50 schrieb B.T. Raven:
>
> > After saving this, exiting, restarting, still no go. C-h k C-return
is
> > shown as undefined.
> >
> > Then I replaced the last line with:
> > (define-key global-map [(control return)] 'calculator)
>
> I'd use
>
>    (global-set-key [c-return] 'calculator)
>
> Besides this it's good to check whether C-return really works. In a
> terminal I don't have C-return, all Emacs sees is RET. When you first
> do 'C-h k C-return' and then 'C-x Esc Esc' (repeat-complex-command)
you
> can see in the mini-buffer the proper syntax for the key (and save it
> for later use with C-a C-k C-g).
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete
>
> "Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
> top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
> things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
> concentration."   -Donald Knuth

Thanks, Sean and Peter and Stefan. I didn't know that 'calculator was
being autoloaded from somewhere, so I guess I can remove that line from
my .emacs. It turns out that all of the various ways of binding the
C-return key work just fine. The problem was that I thought .emacs was
being read from site-lisp when in fact it was being read from d:\emacs.
My directory structure in this neck of the woods is
d:emacs\emacs-21.3\bin etc. Since one thing leads to another, my
question now is whether it's possible to force runemacs.exe to look for
.emacs in site-lisp instead of whatever is in HOME (or HOME$ or ~\,
whatever that means). Is there a search path order where .emacs is
looked for?

Thanks again,

Ed.