Re: Trouble compiling latex sources in UTF-8 encodind

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Trouble compiling latex sources in UTF-8 encodind
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:54:24 +0100

giglio robbo' d'acciaio <daniele@mother.nostromo.wy> writes:

> Forgive me i I make dumb questions but this unicode stuff really
> drives me crazy.

> Once I've saved a file using unicode utf-8, how can I translate it
> into another coding system, like latin-1 for istance, without
> messing 8bit chars?

C-x RET f runs the command set-buffer-file-coding-system
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `international/mule'.
It is bound to C-x RET f, <menu-bar> <options> <mule>
<set-various-coding-system> <set-buffer-file-coding-system>.
(set-buffer-file-coding-system CODING-SYSTEM &optional FORCE NOMODIFY)

Set the file coding-system of the current buffer to CODING-SYSTEM.
This means that when you save the buffer, it will be converted
according to CODING-SYSTEM.  For a list of possible values of CODING-SYSTEM,
use M-x list-coding-systems.

If CODING-SYSTEM leaves the text conversion unspecified, or if it
leaves the end-of-line conversion unspecified, FORCE controls what to
do.  If FORCE is nil, get the unspecified aspect (or aspects) from the
buffer's previous `buffer-file-coding-system' value (if it is
specified there).  Otherwise, leave it unspecified.

This marks the buffer modified so that the succeeding C-x C-s
surely saves the buffer with CODING-SYSTEM.  From a program, if you
don't want to mark the buffer modified, specify t for NOMODIFY.
If you know exactly what coding system you want to use,
just set the variable `buffer-file-coding-system' directly.