Re: How to replace a character by an unprintable character ?

From: Jérôme Radix
Subject: Re: How to replace a character by an unprintable character ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:43:42 +0100

Thanks Drew for your answer.

I've tried that too :
C-q C-m writes ^M in the replacement string, and when doing the replacement, I have the following
a^Mb^Mc^Md

It seems it comes from the different line separation conventions (unix dos, mac...)

I can't figure out how to get

without closing/reopening the file to force emacs to guess in which line separation convention to run (I don't know of a way to change it with a single command...)

I keep searching...

Drew Adams a écrit :
Using M-% or C-M-% how do you replace each `;' in
    a;b;c;d by a carriage return (<RET>)
    I've tried several things out in the replacement string without
    success :
C-q <RET>

`C-q C-m' (C-m is RETURN.)