How to suppress messages?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: How to suppress messages?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:25:48 -0800

I couldn't find any mention in the Elisp manual of a way to do this. If I
have a function that calls a function (a built-in, as it turns out) that
calls (message...), how can my function stop the message from being
displayed by the called function?

The example is a call to `default-boundp'. In Emacs 20, this apparently
displays a message "Library is file `whatever'." By grepping, this seems
like it might come from a call to `locate-library', but, as I say,
`default-boundp' is built-in.

Is there some way to bind something and then call the "messaging" function
(e.g. `default-boundp') from within the binding scope, to prevent messages
from echoing? E.g. (let ((inhibit-messages t)) ... (default-boundp ...)).