Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: Emacs for OS9 and OSX
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:40:51 +0100

Le 26 Jan 2005, Peter Dyballa a formulé :

> > (BTW: that version supports now up to 512 MB of memory.)
>
> How's that?!

Well, Emacs on Mac OS 9 as it is available on MacEmacs page crash if the mac
has more than 256MB installed.

> > Comments are welcome.
>
> In shell-mode to access to /dev/tty!

Huh ?? I fear not to understand that comment :/

> There are differences in the interpretation of Mac OS X font
> encodings:  as with the Japanese Carbon Emacs a few  fonts are
> recognised as being cyrillic.

I use no Japanese nor Cyrillic fonts, so i won't be able to debug enough.
I have looked at  the Japanese Carbon Emacs and it explains  it is a patched
one for  input method. Maybe  the source codes  could be compared ?  Mine is
directly  checked  out from  CVS.  The  «modified  by Debian»  mention  only
concerns  the version  string and  the  generated packages  on my  GNU/Linux
Debian box at home.

> There are some differences in accepting
> /Library/Application  Support/Emacs as part of load-path.
>
> I'm comparing with my own try (without /dev/tty too). I added in
> lisp/site-init.el
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "/Library/Application
> Support/Emacs"))

Is it /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp or
/path_to_the_bundle.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp ? I  am not sure of the
behavior of the bundled app for the load-path.

> to recognise this directory (plus a few more to recognise
> subdirectories for reftex, auctex, preview-latex, and localized
> calendar).

In my  installation, i have defined a  ~/.elisp/ where i put  the packages I
installed myself, so i did not remarked such problems.

> More to follow, some time ...

No problem. However if you might found some bugs, you could tell them to the
emacs-devel list or better gnu.emacs.bug ?

I make quite no development myself for emacs (except some minor elisp patch)
but I just compile it to have a «cutting edge» version :)

--
Sébastien Kirche