Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: umlauts (8bit characters) input
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:47:04 +0100

Am 31.01.2005 um 23:44 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:

Peter Dyballa wrote:
Am 31.01.2005 um 17:44 schrieb Hendrik Sattler:

 '(default-input-method "german-postfix")

Doesn't this setting mean to input all umlauts as `a"??

Does that imply to ignore a real 'ä' key? I deleted that line but the
behaviour did not change.

Actually I can't tell -- still searching for some answers. Here are some answers from my .emacs:

;       (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
        (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
        (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
        (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
        (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
;       (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
        (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
;;      (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
;;      (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
;       (set-language-environment               'German)

This is for X11 on Mac OS X. The following is for "Carbon Emacsen", i.e. a GNU Emacs that fits into the Aqua environment. These have some restrictions with fonts or fontsets, so restrict them to use ISO Latin.

        (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
        (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'iso-latin-9-unix)
        (set-language-environment               'German)
        (set-default-coding-systems             'iso-latin-9-unix)
        (set-keyboard-coding-system             'iso-latin-9)
        (prefer-coding-system                   'iso-latin-9-unix)

I think the most important is default-buffer-file-coding-system. It makes Emacs aware and work with umlauts. Using the right fontsets (or at least fonts) should enable you to see the umlauts too. If you here the umlauts when you type them you might need set-keyboard-coding-system and/or set-terminal-coding-system. It's always helpful to check what Emacs actually receives: C-h k and then you type the umlaut.

Probably your Linux system too uses UTF-8 as file-name-coding-system ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me."