unicode files created with windows notepad

From: David Ellis
Subject: unicode files created with windows notepad
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:45:50 -0600

I am trying to edit a unicode file created with Windows NotePad.

What encoding method should I use?

I have tried the following
    utf-16-le
    utf-16-le-dos
    mule-utf-16-le-dos

I am trying to read an xml file. I have the psgml-1.2.5 package installed.

When I open the file with any of the above encoding, I either get an error
when the psgml package loads or an error when I try to save the file.

If I save the same file with UTF-8 encoding in NotePad and open it with
emacs with UTF-8 encoding, I have no problems. So, it appears that I do not
have the correct encoding when I am trying to read the unicode file.

Anyone have any ideas?

Dave