Trying to input Unicode via GNU Emacs 21.3.1

From: List account
Subject: Trying to input Unicode via GNU Emacs 21.3.1
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:00:25 +0100

Greetings...

My apologies if this question has already been answered before, but I couldn't find a relevant answer in the archives.

I am trying to use GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on FreeBSD (5.3) to edit web pages (I'm accessing my FreeBSD machine via Terminal.App on a Mac, with TERM=xterm-color). I need to input Unicode characters and have them appear properly in web browsers. Currently, I have gotten Emacs to use "Unicode" mode (i.e. the two or three little "u"'s appear at the bottom left), and I am able to enter characters that look just fine in Emacs, but they display as gibberish in browsers.

For instance, I need to be able to display the typical accented Spanish, Italian and French characters. As an example, I can input "Alarcón" in Emacs and it looks fine, but it displays in my browser (Camino 0.82 on Mac OS X) as "Alarcón". The odd thing is that I basically copied and modified this text from a page that actually works just fine.

I have the following lines in my .emacs:
(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

I have also tried the technique of hitting [C-q] and entering the Unicode string, but it chokes on the codes for accented characters and instead of inserting the accented "a" character (0x00E1) by typing C-q 0 0 E 1 it produces "^@e1".

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

-Erik Norvelle
erik (at) norvelle (dot) org