Re: emacs vc support for subversion

From: Lee Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs vc support for subversion
Date: 13 Feb 2005 23:36:48 +0800

    Thien-Thi> Joakim Hove <hove@ift.uib.no> writes:
    >> My previous (failed) attempts have been based on CVS, this time
    >> I was planning to try out subversion.

    Thien-Thi> this seems like a good way to compound problems.  i
    Thien-Thi> suggest easing into it rather than jumping in.  start
    Thien-Thi> w/ one file (under RCS), get the muscle memory trained
    Thien-Thi> w/ the `C-x v ...' way of life, then move to CVS or
    Thien-Thi> Subversion later.

No.  I don't agree.

Unless  you're going to  use 'vc'  only, I  don't think  your approach
would gain  much.  One would be  better off by  starting directly with
'pcscvs'  or  'psvn'.  C-x  v  C-h  would  give already  very  helpful
information about  the vc-command bindings that one  would need.  This
is because the buffer created by M-x cvs-examine or M-x svn-status are
quite different from the vc-rcs operations.  They're like using dir-ed
for file  operations vs.   using M-x make-directory,  M-x rename-file,
etc.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦                          ~{@nJX6X~}

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de