adding perl-mode menu

From: bluj
Subject: adding perl-mode menu
Date: 13 Feb 2005 12:54:45 -0800

Hello,
I have used emacs for quite a while, but have never delved into
customization or lisp.
I would like to add a menu in emacs, only in the perl major mode.

I thought that this would do it:

(define-key perl-mode-map [menu-bar cust]
  (cons "Cust" (make-sparse-keymap "Cust")))

what am i doing wrong???? if i change perl-mode-map to global-map i am
fine...
Why is there no documentation on this for gnu emacs??? If someone can
point me to a doc that goes into specifics about this, I would be
greatful. The faq only covers adding to global-map....

thanks
jonathan