Re: [Slightly OT] Small GNU Emacs lookalike, UTF-8-able

From: Leonardo Boiko
Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] Small GNU Emacs lookalike, UTF-8-able
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:45:05 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:
Emacs is not really that terrible concerning memory consumptions.  I
suspect your window system to be involved with your problems here.
You should aim for a lean window manager like icewm and see whether
this allows you to run a straightforward Emacs.

I was running ratpoison, the One True WM, which is very small.  Just for
the record I also tried simply Emacs, without a WM.  Not good.

I'm running Emacs CVS for better Unicode support. Other possible causes of memory consumption are the use of Japanese fonts, old X 3 (it's the only one that runs with my video card), a hardware problem, and some weird behavior of NetBSD. I suspect Emacs (blasphemy!).

Is someone else running CVS GNU Emacs in a system with 24MiB or less of
RAM?
--
Leonardo Boiko