Re: DWIM for the TAB key

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: DWIM for the TAB key
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:16:38 +0100

"rbielaws@i1.net" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

> Oliver Scholz wrote:
[...]
>> (defun egoge-tab-dwim ()
>>   "Indent or complete depending on the context.
>> If point is at the beginning of a line or if all characters
>> between point and the beginning of the line are whitespace
>> characters, indent that line. Otherwise complete the symbol at
>> point."
>>   (interactive)
>
> This code doesn't seem to do what the comments say it should.

Right. The code just checks for a single whitespace character. I wrote
the doc string before the body of the function and changed my mind
when writing the latter. I don't know yet what's better: check whether
everything before point is blank or whether there is a single blank
before point, i.e. whether this is a bug or a doc-bug. Of course
completion is rather pointless if there is no symbol at point ...

    Oliver
--
29 Pluviôse an 213 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!