Emacs for remote ssh

From: sfeil
Subject: Emacs for remote ssh
Date: 18 Feb 2005 22:12:16 -0800

I am wanting to use emacs to aid in a situation where I am using ssh
on a remote computer that has a high latency between it and the
computer I am sitting at. From time to time I have used shh from
inside emacs shell and it has made line editing bearable. I would like
to extend it's abilities.

Here is a list of the things I would like to do.

1. I would like to make a function that will create new shell and give
it a name based on the server it is connected to.

2. I would like if to work even if there is already a *shell* buffer.

3. I would like to store my user-name and host in my computer and
possibly the shell password.

4. I would really like a command completion that is based on a file or
directory that is on my local computer. Most of what I will be doing
on the remote computer is based on scripts. I would like to use list
of scripts on the local computer emacs will know that are also on the
remote. That way command completion can be completed without going
through the latency of going through the remote computer.

5. would like it to work with remote screen to allow sessions to last
longer than Internet connection and/or allow multiple shells on the
server.

Please inform me if you know of any emacs facilities that can do
things from the preceding list. Over the last few years I have been
playing around with writing emacs extensions but I still feel like a
newbie at it.