Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How many parameters does an elisp function take?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:41:03 -0500

>> In practice, it's simpler to just do

>> (condition-case nil
>> (fooo)
>> (wrong-number-of-arguments
>> (bar)))

>> It's not perfect, but I've found it to suffer from fewer problems than
>> other solutions.  It's also faster.

> Good idea!

> Why is there not such a function in the Emacs core?

The example code above shows there *is* such a functionality.  If you mean
"why is there no `function-can-accept-N-args' function", then the answer is
probably that most people ask for the inconvenient "function-arity" instead
and get turned down.

> It seems such an incredibly useful function, say for debuggers or
> code-analysers, or for the uses mentioned above.  Did somebody just
> overlook it in the early days, perhaps?

Seeing how this kind of thing is basically never used, and how the specific
info needed tends to be subtly different each time, I guess it's not just
an overlook, but a lack of clear evidence of a need.

        Stefan