Re: Tramp with public key ssh

From: J. E. Lewis
Subject: Re: Tramp with public key ssh
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:56:55 -0500

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:38:34AM -0500, Michael Powe wrote:
>     >> I am set up for an ssh public-key login to an account.  When I
>     >> try to edit a file there via emacs + tramp, tramp asks for the
>
>     >> Enter passphrase for key '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..........
>     >> tramp: Sending password Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': .  Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ..  Enter passphrase for key
>     >> '/home/powem/.ssh/id_dsa': ........
>
>     >> Any ideas on what might be happening here?  I After the initial
>     >> password request, none of the other material shown appears in
>     >> the minibuffer.  That is all just in the *Messages* buffer.

Well it looks to me like an ssh public key issue.  When you ssh to a box with
your ssh pub-key on it it asks for your passphrase and not your passwd.  If
you type anything that is not your passphrase (other than a blank return) then
it will prompt again for the passphrase and continue doing so until the blank
return or 3 times or more pass.  Then it will prompt for your passwd.

If you start ssh-agent first and properly login to the agent then you will by
pass the passphrase question and it should just login to the machine for you.

Hope that helps.

--jel--
a.k.a. Louie