Changing $HOME

From: Shug Boabby
Subject: Changing $HOME
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:34:17 +0000 (UTC)

hi there,

i wish to change the definition of ~/ in the minibuffer. i have a folder
  /Users/shug/GNU
which i wish to use as my base... it makes life a lot easier for me
since it allows me to seperate the OS X stuff from everything i do in
Emacs and the CL.

i have tried doing things such as:
  (setenv "HOME" "/Users/shug/GNU")
or
  (setq homedir "/Users/shug/GNU")
but it never seems to work.

the best results i have are by
  (cd "/Users/shug/GNU")
but that just means i always start in that directory when looking for
new files... it obviously doesn't redefine the ~/ symbol.

does anyone know how to define ~/ as "/Users/shug/GNU"?