Re: Carbon emacs - frame too big for minibuffer can't resize window

From: George Colpitts
Subject: Re: Carbon emacs - frame too big for minibuffer can't resize window
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:15:03 -0500

In article <mailman.1903.1109526710.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 27.02.2005 um 18:25 schrieb George Colpitts:
>
> > I've installed the latest Carbon emacs, 21.3.50.1, and the frame is too
> > long, the minibuffer is off the screen and I can't resize the window.
> > How can I fix this ?
>
> Use a smaller font!
>
> Try this in .emacs: (require 'site-fontsets-carbon)
>
> and this is site-fontsets-carbon.el somewhere in your load-path, but be
> aware that you might miss some fonts (you can gain an overview of your
> Mac's fonts in Carbon Emacs by typing M-x set-frame-font RET TAB TAB):

Thanks but that doesn't work for me. I get

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "No fonts match `-*-lucida sans
typewriter regular-medium-r-*-mac-cyrillic'")
  signal(error ("No fonts match `-*-lucida sans typewriter
regular-medium-r-*-mac-cyrillic'"))
  error("No fonts match `%s'" "-*-lucida sans typewriter
regular-medium-r-*-mac-cyrillic")
  x-resolve-font-name("-*-lucida sans typewriter
regular-medium-r-*-mac-cyrillic")

The above look like X11 fonts, I thought Carbon emacs was independent of
X11 (which is installed on my machine)

The distribution comes with a files in site-start.d which the
instructions say to delete if you don't want to work in Japanese. I
tried changing the file carbon-emacs-fontset.el to say:

(when (eq window-system 'mac)

  (setq mac-allow-anti-aliasing t)

;;   ;; mac-roman
     (set-default-font "fontset-mac")
     (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "fontset-mac"))

  ;; Osaka 12
  ;;(require 'carbon-font)
  ;;(set-default-font "fontset-osaka12")
  ;;(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "fontset-osaka12"))

  )

that that doesn't help (or hurt)

Isn't it a bug that it doesn't just work ? The emacs that comes with the
Developer tools doesn't require this kind of customization. I've used
emacs for 20 years and never had to bother with font customization. I
guess I should know more about these things but I never had to before