Re: add-mode-abbrev writes to fundamental table only

From: rgb
Subject: Re: add-mode-abbrev writes to fundamental table only
Date: 28 Feb 2005 13:03:11 -0800

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> rgb wrote:
>  >>I'm finding when I have entered any mode (Here we use sh-mode)
that
>  >>running `add-mode-abbrev' will only write my new abbrev to the
>  >>Fundamental-mode-abbrev-table.
>  >
>  > I just had this problem in a mode I'm writing.  I found that
>  > it occurs when local-abbrev-table is not set.
>  > local-abbrev-table is buffer local when set but if it's not
>  > set the default is usually fundamental-mode.
>
> What version of Emacs doesn't set local-abbrev-table?

It might just be an unwanted side effect of something in OP's .emacs.
For example I saw the code below on emacswiki.  It would cause these
symptoms and a user may not connect the two without understanding the
connection between add-mode-abbrev and local-abbrev-table.

(defun sql-pre-abbrev-expand-hook ()
  ;; Allow our abbrevs only in a code context.
  (setq local-abbrev-table
        (if (sql-in-code-context-p)
            sql-mode-abbrev-table)))