cygwin emacs problems

From: Elim Qiu
Subject: cygwin emacs problems
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:00:41 -0700

Hi List,

Forgive me if my question is wrong to the list. I'm new to cygwin and emacs.

I installed cygwin with emacs on my thinkpad T22 + win2k  as:
GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit)  of 2004-03-22 on cm-test

*** The 1st trouble was that it does not quit (c-x c-c not working).
After some search, I modified cygwin.bat  as:

=============================
@echo off

E:
chdir E:\cygwin\bin
set CYGWIN=tty notitle glob
bash --login -i
==============================
The problem was gone (although i'm not so sure that's the proper
thing to do)

*** The 2nd trouble was the delete key. According to the emacs
tutorial, this should be the backspace key in my case.  But it
doesn't work. The problem remains the same on my Dell desktop
(same os, same cygwin+emacs). I figured that instead of  backspace,
C-backspace works as <Delete> in emacs tutorial. And so just need
to keep in mind that <Delete> equals C-backspace for me (both
thinkpad and dell worked that way)

*** Now the 3rd trouble: cannot figure out what the key mapping
for M-<Delete> although M-d works just fine (M=alt in my case).

Now i'm stuck at %30 part of the emacs tutorial and looking for
hints on M-<Delete> key mapping....

I'm starting doubt about what i did: maybe there are some total
solution for setting emacs on cygwin which makes emacs work just
like the emacs tutorial described?  Cygwin is there for years and
many people should gone through this already.

So i'm looking for help here. And if you know all these about, please
try letting cygwin newbies know too.

Thanks!

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.