Cursor position in pixels

From: PT
Subject: Cursor position in pixels
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:18:01 +0100

I plan to implement emacs support for a language and want to display suggestions for the user in a pop up frame. For example, the user starts to type the name of a function and if he hesitates a small frame appears in the screen above the line the cursor is in showing possible completions.

In order to position the popup frame correctly I need to know the position of the cursor in pixels relative to the top/left corner of the current Emacs frame. I couldn't find anything like that in the documentation. Is it possible?

Of course, I can show the completions in an other window in the same frame (pop-to-buffer), but a small temporary popup frame above the cursor would be nicer.