Re: options/config for the CVS built

From: Gnooby
Subject: Re: options/config for the CVS built
Date: 7 Mar 2005 15:51:00 GMT

* Chong Yidong wrote:

>> I have done this on Linux some time ago and I remember the built
>> process to be *very* time-consuming.
[...]
> Have you actually tried?
[...]

No.  You got me ashamed.  ;-)

As I said: I *did* compile a CVS version before.  It's just that it
took so much time to do 'make bootstrap' (more than 2 hours) the last
time I did it (on Linux), that I wanted to know what I could tweak/omit
there.

Thinking of it: Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the
previous machine had "only" about 500 Mhz and 256 MB RAM.  And KDE was
probably running, too  ;-)

Good news is: You were right.  It only took about 30 minutes to compile
the beast.  CVS-Emacs is running.  (forgive me for not posting with
Gnus yet, though)

BTW: What kind of toolkit does it use by default, on Windows?  I didn't
specify any  --with-x-toolkit  option.  Just ran the default
configure.bat.  Looks butt-ugly.  Looks like Xaw3d or Athena.  Just
uglier ;-)

However, my orginal question has not been answered yet: Is there a
convenient way to specify what should be compiled and what not?  e.g.:
If I don't want Gnus to be compiled in the CVS-built-process, how would
I do that?

BTW: Many Thanks for the link
http://www.student.lu.se/%7Etps95lbn/Emacs/EmacsSetupUtilities.html
No way I could have succeeded without it.  Maybe I should contact this
guy Lennart Borgman, though, for him to update the site a bit.  I had
to do some tweaks manually in order to get it working.  That's not a
complaint.  I'm aware that he cannot keep track of all the changes that
these projects (Emacs, MinGW, GnuWin32, UnixUtils) implement.  I'm just
talking from a viewpoint of a Newbie.

I'll try to recall the "tweaks", as long as my memory is fresh:

- He proposes to get make.exe, but I can't find make.exe on
  http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
  I had to get it from MinGW.  Mind you: I'm not saying that it's not
  there.  I'm just stating that I, as a Newbie, couldn't find it right
  away.
- copy mingw32-make.exe to make.exe (BTW: why can't I simply make a
  link?)
- He proposes to get makeinfo.exe.  I can't find that either on the
  GnuWin32 site
- he proposes to install some Unix Utilities from GnuWin32.  I've
  installed the FileUtils and FindUtils.  These depend on the LibIntl
  and LibIconv dlls.  However, the *.zip file only contains a
  libintl-2.dll.  When trying to run a binary from the GnuWin32\bin
  directory it complains about a missing libintl3.dll.  When copying
  libintl-2.dll to libintl3.dll the problem is resolved.

Again: I'm not complaining!  I'm just sharing my experience, in order
to make it easier for other Users/Newbies to get it running.

Many thanks to Chong Yidong, Lennart Borgman, Peter Dyballa and
Thien-Thi Nguyen!