Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:49:44 +0100

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> When I installed Emacs CVS 21.3.50 on my system,
> the `$ ./configure' step ended up accompanied by the following output:
>
>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
>

> . Now, I need Emacs to use png libraried. How to do so?

I downloaded and installed: zlib-1.2.2.tar.gz, libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz,
tiff-3.7.1.tar.gz, libungif-4.1.3.tar.gz
and jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz; then run '$ ./configure' again
and the above output turned into:

  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

. So, now it's okay for tiff and gif, but not for jpeg.
Why? The installation of jpeg seemed to have no problem.
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

P.S.: I also downloaded Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz, but didn't see any
      README or Install file there. How shall I install it?