(no subject)

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:48:33 +0100

Sorry if this breaks the threading...

UH> Thanks!  That solves the display problem.

UH> Emacs doesn't work with the Mac input method, though (alt-s doesn't do
UH> ß, but §).  I suspect the Alt key is mapped for something...

Using the  Emacs Input Method  (I prefer this  since I use Emacs  in 3
differnt OS) solves the problem.  You can choose between german prefix
where ß  is the result  of the sequence  " and s (prefix  version work
somethin  like iso-accents-mode,  so wovels  with umlauts  are entered
with the sequence " (wovel)) and german postfix where you get the same
result by hitting  s and then z. In this mode  wovels with umlauts are
entered typing what I think is  the "no umlaut version" of the word (I
don't speak German -blame on me- so I'm not sure...).

>> Hmmm...  I think thak  the use  of mac  roman is  in second  place for
>> deserving  a  rightful  spanking  (for  Apple  developers)  after  the
>> implementation of cp, mv and so on ... :)
>>

UH> What's wrong with cp, mv ...?
UH> Aren't they just from FreeBSD?

The commands  do come  from BSD  or GNU. But  the filesystem  not, and
those smarties did not adapt the commands to the filesystem.

So  if  you cp  a  file  you cp  just  the  data  losing the  extended
attributes.  mv  should behave  likewise too.  There  are a  couple of
utilities that fix this in the development stuff. I never used them as
I use my iMac  as a Unix box and I don't care  of the other file forks
(btw does someone know a free  utility to repartition the disk to make
place to an healy Debian GNU/Linux ?).

--
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____