Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor
Date: 08 Mar 2005 18:48:01 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> writes:

> * have you tried using emacs w/ the blinking box cursor?

Yes, I configure it and all  software I can with a blinking box cursor.

> * do you find it uncomfortable?
>   (if "no", you can skip the next question.)

No, I find it necessary.

> * do you think it is an imposition to put:
>     (blink-cursor-mode 0)
>   in ~/.emacs to turn it off?

No. But I would not do it.

> * do you use another shape cursor (such as vertical bar)?
>   if so, which?

No, none.

> * how do the shape and the blinking affect your (dis)comfort?
>   (i'm looking for correlation info, such as:
>     shape: box, blinking: on, i-find-it: unbearable
>     shape: vertical bar, blinking: on, i-find-it: no-worries
>   in the response.)

In an editor or a terminal, I prefer a box over a bar, and I prefer
blinking over static.

> * is cursor blinking a feature you would be inclined to
>   change during an editing session?  if so, how often?

No, never.

> * how do the number of frames visible and the blinking affect
>   your (dis)comfort?  (again, looking for correlation info.)

Cursor should stop blinking when the frame is not active.  This is
what is implemented, so I'm happy, since it allows me to spot the
active cursor faster.

You're always typing.
Well, let's see you ignore my
sitting on your hands.