Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor

From: Andrew M. Scott
Subject: Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 14:37:43 -0700

    >> * have you tried using emacs w/ the blinking box
    >> cursor?
Yes, it's always on.
    >> * do you find it uncomfortable?
    >> (if "no", you can skip the next question.)
No
    >> * do you use another shape cursor (such as vertical
    >> bar)? if so, which?
No.
    >> * how do the shape and the blinking affect your
    >> (dis)comfort? (i'm looking for correlation info, such as:
    >> shape: box, blinking: on, i-find-it: unbearable shape: vertical
    >> bar, blinking: on, i-find-it: no-worries in the response.)

I have found a (setq blink-cursor-interval 0.8) setting as more
comfortable than the default 0.5

    >> * is cursor blinking a feature you would be inclined to
    >> change during an editing session? if so, how often?
No
    >> * how do the number of frames visible and the blinking
    >> affect your (dis)comfort? (again, looking for correlation
    >> info.)

I typically have 3+ frames running, but they overlap like stacked
pieces of paper with slight offsets of the top-left corner coordinate;
therefore mostly the top frame is visible.

To be honest, I don't notice the blinking that much (but blinking is nice
to locate a cursor on a large, cluttered monitor), as I'm usually
cycling between frames, buffers, or typing vs. staring at a static
buffer.