Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor

From: Thomas A. Horsley
Subject: Re: INFORMAL SURVEY: blinking cursor
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 01:18:37 GMT

>* have you tried using emacs w/ the blinking box cursor?

Its hard to avoid trying it since it is on by default.

>* do you find it uncomfortable?

I find almost every visual "aid" added to emacs uncomfortable.
I spend most of the first few days after I switch to a new
release tracking down and squashing "helpful" new features.
(I have nice two color windows everywhere for instance - one
foreground, one background, no font-lock explosions of
visual spagetti all over my source buffers :-).

>* do you think it is an imposition to put:
>    (blink-cursor-mode 0)
>  in ~/.emacs to turn it off?

Nope.Tracking down new features and killing them off is a
fun game :-).

>* is cursor blinking a feature you would be inclined to
>  change during an editing session?  if so, how often?

Oh yea, I got one (count 'em: 1) frame too. Squashing
modes that want to pop up new frames was fun as well.
--
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+