RE: Use ido for *all* completion?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Use ido for *all* completion?
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:43:56 -0800

AFAIK, you can use `ido-completing-read' as a general replacement for
`completing-read'.

I don't know if you could just do a `defalias' (or would want to, even if
you could), but at least for your own commands you can choose to use
`ido-completing-read' instead of `completing-read'.

It looks like the signatures of the two functions are a bit different, so I
doubt that you could just `defalias' completing-read to
ido-completing-read - the latter does not accept an inherit-input-method
argument, and its second argument must be a list of strings, not an obarray
or an alist whose cars are strings.

CCing ido's author, in case he has an idea about this. - Drew

    > Is there a way to use ido's magical completion for everything?  For
    > example, I'd like it to complete when answering the prompt M-x gives.
    >
    > CVS Emacs finally broke lightning completion[1] for me so I
    decided to look
    > at ido.  I like it!  You can configure Lightning completion so that it
    > completes for all minibuffer prompts.  It would be great if
    ido did that
    > too.  Can it?

    I don't think that ido can do this (yet I don't /know/ either that it
    can not.) However, there's M-x icomplete-mode