Re: Caveats on remapping keys

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: Caveats on remapping keys
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 18:29:53 +0000

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:53:34PM -0900, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Hello:
> >You won't be able to use them to provide prefix arguments to commands.
> >For example, `M-7 C-n' moves down 7 lines, but not if M-7 is bound
> >to something other than digit-argument.
>
> Correct. However, on my keyboards, 'C-7 C-n' does the same and is
> more natural to my hands. It would appear that rebinding 'M-7' wouldn't
> be too awful, you think?

I find the M-5 (for arbitrary values of 5) binding very convenient
when I want to evaluate an expression and put the result at point,
M-7 M-: is easier to type than C-7 M-: similarly for commands like
"shell-command-in-region" etc.

I don't know how much of an inconvenience that would cause you though.

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius