Re: Use ido for *all* completion?

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: Re: Use ido for *all* completion?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:24:18 -0500

Peter Lee <pete.a.lee@gmail.com> writes:

>     > I have looked at icomplete, partial-completion-mode, and ido.  Of the
>     > three, ido is the best for me.
>
> There is also mcomplete.  Not sure of the differences between
> mcomplete and those other modes you listed, but it does prefix and
> substring completion.

mcomplete.el (http://homepage1.nifty.com/bmonkey/emacs/elisp/mcomplete.el)
has a nice ASCII drawing of how it integrates with the minibuffer.  Maybe
we can use this same method with ido.  I'll take a look at this one day
soon.  Here's the drawing;

;;; How this package works:

;; On loading this package,
;; `mcomplete-minibuffer-setup' is registered in `minibuffer-setup-hook'.
;;
;;
;; Some command tries to begin a minibuffer session
;;    |
;;    v
;; (run-hooks 'minibuffer-setup-hook) -+
;;    |                                |
;;    |                                v
;;    |           `mcomplete-minibuffer-setup'
;;    |              (when (mcomplete-p)
;;    |                 (run-hooks 'mcomplete-minibuffer-setup-hook))
;;    |                                |
;;    |                                v
;;    |           `mcomplete-setup-command-hooks'
;;    |              * registers `mcomplete-pre-command-hook' in
;;    |                the buffer local `pre-command-hook'.
;;    |              * registers `mcomplete-post-command-hook' in
;;    |                the buffer local `post-command-hook'.
;;    v
;; The minibuffer session begins
;;    |
;;    v
;; Some key is pressed in the minibuffer
;;    |
;;    v
;; (run-hooks 'pre-command-hook) -+
;;    |                           |
;;    |                           v
;;    |           (run-hooks 'mcomplete-pre-command-hook)
;;    |                           |
;;    |                           v
;;    |           `mcomplete-pre-command-tidy'
;;    |               * clears information display in the minibuffer.
;;    v
;; The command for the key is executed
;;    |
;;    v
;; (run-hooks 'post-command-hook) -+
;;                 (run-hooks 'mcomplete-post-command-hook)
;;                 `mcomplete-post-command-exhibit'
;;                    * displays information in the minibuffer.