opening portions of large file

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: opening portions of large file
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:33:18 +0100

Hi,

i have  googled a bit  but i have  found no reference regarding  the partial
opening of large files (read: without loading the whole file in memory).

I know that for a while Emacs 21.3  (? at least CVS version) has no more the
128 MB  limitation about buffer size.  But what about opening  a large file,
say several hundreds of megabytes ?

I suppose  that if the file  size exceeds the  main memory it will  cause at
best lots of memory swapping and must be quite slow.

Is there any  mode designed to load a large file  by chunks corresponding to
the displayed buffer (à la UltraEdit-32 in the Windows world) ?

Regards.

--
Sébastien Kirche