Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:02:40 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87k6oyc7ae.fsf@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>,
Lee Sau Dan  <danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

>I think  the PageUp/PageDown keys  are more intuitive than  the wheel.
>And guess what C-PageUp and C-PageDown do in Emacs!

Well, THANK YOU FOR THAT!

I never would have known it but for your two lines there!

No?  But isn't it clearly documented?

Well, sort of.   Here's part of a C-h b and a couple of C-h k's:

| <M-prior>     scroll-other-window-down
| <M-next>      scroll-other-window
| <C-next>      scroll-left
| <C-prior>     scroll-right
| <next>                scroll-up
| <prior>               scroll-down
|

| <prior> runs the command scroll-down
| (scroll-down &optional ARG)
|    which is an interactive built-in function.
|
| Scroll text of current window down ARG lines; or near full screen if no ARG.
| A near full screen is `next-screen-context-lines' less than a full screen.
| Negative ARG means scroll upward.
| If ARG is the atom `-', scroll upward by nearly full screen.
| When calling from a program, supply as argument a number, nil, or `-'.
|

| <C-prior> runs the command scroll-right
| (scroll-right &optional ARG)
|    which is an interactive built-in function.
|
| Scroll selected window display ARG columns right.
| Default for ARG is window width minus 2.
| Value is the total amount of leftward horizontal scrolling in
| effect after the change.
| If `automatic-hscrolling' is non-nil, the argument ARG modifies
| a lower bound for automatic scrolling, i.e. automatic scrolling
| will not scroll a window to a column less than the value returned
| by this function.

"<prior>"?   "<next>?".

Why the <expletive-deleted> (shows my age, no?) didn't
"they" (rms?) call them pageDown and pageUp?

Yeah, maybe those two words, prior and next, are defined
somewhere in the gnu-emacs manual, but c'm on, give me a break!

Anyway, again, thanks for those two lines!

-------

STRANGE this M-prior -- C-h b reports (see above) it
bound to scrolling the other window down --

BUT! -- C-h k  on it says "unbound"????

David