Re: add-menu-button: Xemacs to emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: add-menu-button: Xemacs to emacs
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:14:19 +0100

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:
>
>>>I am in the process of transitioning from Xemacs to emacs.
>>>I have code that uses the xemacs 'add-menu-button function.
>>>Emacs does not recognize this function.
> <snip...>
>>>1)The simple question is:
>>>    What is the corresponding emacs function to add a menu
>    Hello David:
>     Thanks for the example. This is very valuable and is what
> I needed for that issue.

I should have mentioned that LaTeX-mode-map in that example is a
keymap in the relevant mode: menus in XEmacs are bound to "locales"
(which is why you need the easy-menu-add to activate them in some
buffer), whereas menus in Emacs are bound to keymaps.

So the easy-menu-* functions require a keymap as one argument, even
though the implementation for XEmacs will most likely ignore it.