Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 21:53:16 +0100

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> writes:

> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>> Transient mark mode is an abomination.  It really needed to be
>> replaced by the implementation of temporary transient mark mode (which
>> also is activated by dragging the mouse) in Emacs 22.
>
> Yeesh.
>
> It's matter of taste David.
>
> [I've tried to use "temporary transient mark mode" exclusively before,
> and found the "double press" required to activate it quite annoying.
> It felt artificial and clumsy.]

It is artificial, but the times where I really _want_ an active
instead of an available region are rather few, and the side effects of
regions becoming either unavailable or completely dictatorial were
annoying in the extreme.  Now my regions are mostly in that half-baked
state that is most convenient for most purposes, at least for me.