Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:37:36 +0200

> From: Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com>
> Date: 20 Mar 2005 00:33:18 +0100
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > > From: Pascal Bourguignon <spam@mouse-potato.com>
> > > Date: 19 Mar 2005 16:45:30 +0100
> > >
> > > 1- Probably, the theory of emacs key binding should be put in the
> > > tutorial.
> >
> > Please take another look at the tutorial--such an explanation is
> > already there.
>
> I mean, how to customize the key binding.

Then why did you write ``the theory of emacs key binding''?  What's
the ``theory'' thing about?

> I find nothing about global-set-key, local-set-key or key maps.

The tutorial intentionally does not explain customizations (it says so
near the beginning).  Personally, I think a tutorial shouldn't cover
such advanced stuff, as long as it points to the manual that does.

> More over there is the problem that key bindings may dynamically be
> put in place by modes, in a non systematic way, so that in some mode
> you have to study the whole mode sources to know how to change the
> bindings...

There's no need to read the sources, only to type "C-h m".