Ediff: Inspect & patch a file with an old diff-file?

From: Joachim Nilsson
Subject: Ediff: Inspect & patch a file with an old diff-file?
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:50:46 +0100

Hi!

How do I inspect (with the ability to patch) a file and a diff in ediff?

The file to be patched could be of rev 1.25 while the diff could be a diff
against an older rev. (say 1.13) but the contents of that diff was never
applied ... So what I want to do is to find the differences from the diff
(of file rev 1.13) and the current file of rev 1.25 without having to
checkout rev 1.13 of the old file, patch that with with my old diff and
then do ediff on files rev 1.25 and patched file 1.13.

Sounds complicated?  I've actually found myself quite often trying to patch
constantly moving Linux sources with old company-specific patches.  What I'd
like is a way to quickly sim through and clean up those old patches and submit
them to the community for inspection.  Emacs is golden at most other work so
how can I let it help me in this (seamingly trivial) task?

Thanks
 /Jocke

--
Joachim Nilsson :: <joachim AT vmlinux DOT org>
+46(0)21-123348 :: <http://vmlinux.org/joachim/>