Re: keymap problem

From: no spam
Subject: Re: keymap problem
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:32:24 GMT

(normal-erase-is-backspace-mode -1)  did it!   Thanks so much.

Joe Corneli wrote:
Thanks again. I can run xmodmap and xev on my laptop, but on the university's system, I can't.

   xmodmap -pk
   xmodmap:  unable to open display ''

   and xev I can't find at all.

Sounds bad.  Have you tried putting

 (normal-erase-is-backspace-mode 1)

or
 (normal-erase-is-backspace-mode -1)

in your .emacs?  That might do what you want, or at least get you part
way there.

Although I haven't tried, I suspect that I'm not going to have much luck getting an X session across their firewall AND mine. Is there some other way to do this?

If `normal-erase-is-backspace-mode' doesn't do everything you need,
look at its code and see what you can do using the syntax for
remappings given there (but in your global keymap).