Function keys, keymap issue, over SSH terminal session

From: Todd H.
Subject: Function keys, keymap issue, over SSH terminal session
Date: 21 Mar 2005 22:45:06 -0600

Greetings,

I'm running emacs over an ssh session.  No X, just a plain ole text
terminal (so any solutions involving xmodmap aren't applicable, I
don't think?? dunno).  I'm connecting to a Debian box using TERM=VT220
and a matching VT220 emulation in SecureCRT (a very very nice windows
SSH client that's typically quite emacs friendly).

The trouble is, The F11 and F12 (and the rest of the F keys actually)
don't appear to be properly mapping, so my .emacs entries such as:

       (global-set-key [f11] 'gnus)
       (global-set-key [f12] 'vm)

Aren't working.

Now the same .emacs, same SecureCRT profile didn't have this problem
on a RedHat system running Emacs 20.6.1, but this Debian system
running 21.3.1 seems to be quite a bit different in the keymapping
dept.

Any utilities I can run to figure this out, and what if any mapping do
I need to do, and where (in .emacs ?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/