Re: customize versus own expressions in .emacs

From: Jochen Küpper
Subject: Re: customize versus own expressions in .emacs
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:39:50 +0200

Sebastian Luque <sluque@mun.ca> writes:

> Since I began using Emacs a little over a year now, I've been mixing my
> own entries with those made by the Customize interface in my ~/.emacs. As
> I learned more and started using more libraries, it has become more
> difficult to maintain this file due to the mixing of the two styles.

[...]

> Variation in preferences was very large. Is there some general
> consensus regarding this today, given that Customize seems to have
> improved since 1999?

I find this also a quite interesting question. What I myself is that I
barely use customize, but the few times I do I leave the settings in
.emacs in the beginning. I do have a separate jk-emacs.el (and a few
more files, i.e. for gnus and bbdb) where I put my own customizations.
Once I get to the point that I want to change some of these
"customization" settings further, I move everything from .emacs to
jk-emacs.el and change it by hand there.

.emacs looks like the following (and .gnus looks very similar):
,----
| ;;
| ;; load jk-emacs customization
| ;;
| (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
"~/konfigurationsdateien/lisp/init/"))
| (load-library "jk-emacs")
|

| ;;
| ;; robot-customization
| ;;
| (custom-set-variables
[...]
`----

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)