Re: browse-url

From: Hugh Lawson
Subject: Re: browse-url
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:20:15 GMT

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> Both of these functions appear to require starting a new firefox. (??)

> (defun browse-url-firefox (url &optional new-window )
>   ;;new-window ignored
> "Ask the firefox browser to  load URL."
>  (apply 'call-process "firefox" nil
>          0 nil (list url)))
>
> ;;;
> (defun browse-url-firefox (url &optional new-window)
>   (call-process "firefox" nil 0 nil url))

Perhaps they do not.  I just did:

'M-x browse-url' twice, inputting two different urls, and still have
just one instance of firefox visible on the screen.  I can display the
two different pages by clicking the navigation toolbar arrows.

Before trying these functions, I could find no way by setting emacs
variables to start firefox if it was not already running.

There's probably a way, but I didn't find it. :(

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com