Re: Recommendations: emacs files containing multiple languages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Recommendations: emacs files containing multiple languages
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:06:44 +0300

> Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 08:54:48 -0400
> From: ken <gebser@speakeasy.net>
>
> This week I've been wondering how to compose and edit text files
> containing multiple languages... like English, German, Russian, French,
> and ancient Greek... all in the same file.  Is this even possible in
> emacs?

Yes, Emacs can do this since v20.5 (actually, 20.1, but there were
bugs in early 20.x versions).

> If so, any tips?

Just do it.  You will need corresponding fonts to display the
characters, of course.  And, if your system doesn't support input in
those languages, you will have to make sure you have Leim (library of
Emacs input methods) installed and use Emacs input methods for typing
foreign characters.

> I've heard of an editor called "sam", developed by Rob Pike, that can do
> this.  But in my many years of using emacs and reading lists like this,
> I've never heard of emacs being capable of such a wild thing.

It's strange you never heard of it, since the capability exists for
quite a few years.