Re: Emacs in xterm and Cyrillic?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Emacs in xterm and Cyrillic?
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:48:40 -0600

vedm wrote:
> My cyrillic files are encoded in iso8859-5, just because that encoding
> is within the ASCII set and is enough for the cyrilic script. Yes, I
> agree that UTF is better for handling all sorts of languages, but I
> still haven't tried to use it in emacs and Xterm. (One disadvantage of
> UTF is that the UTF files (at least cyrillic files) are almost two times
> bigger compared to ASCII encoded files).

That can't be the case, because Cyrillic characters can't even be
represented in ASCII.  It is true that your Cyrillic files will be
encoded in ISO-8859-5 with just 1 byte per character, whereas the
Cyrillic characters require 2 bytes in UTF-8 (I don't know about
UTF-16).  But the actual size of the UTF-8 files will depend on how many
Cyrillic vs. ASCII characters are present, since the ASCII characters
are still represented as a single byte.

--
Kevin Rodgers