Key binding syntax

From: Greg Novak
Subject: Key binding syntax
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:22:03 -0700

I'm having a difficult time rebinding Shift-tab or Control tab.  I've
tried:

[?\C-tab]
[?\C- tab]
"\C-<tab>"
"\C-[tab]"
"\C-\t"

as the first argument to local-set-key and none of them seem to work.
I've read the Emacs manual and the Elisp manual, but I can't find the
information I need.

I also did "apropos-command key" looking for a command where I can hit
a key and have emacs tell me the exact text that should go into the
first argument to local-set-key in order to rebind the key.  Much like
describe-key, but telling me how to rebind it, not what the current
current binding happens to be.

I still think that this function must exist, and I'm just not finding
it.  So before I try to write it myself, I thought I'd consult the
list...

Thank you,
Greg