Re: nero.el requires emacs-21.X

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: nero.el requires emacs-21.X
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:07:39 -0500

Hm... I use CVS, so um, yeah.  Never ran into that.

If your emacs is pre March 2002, its pretty old (like, older than my
entire Emacs Lisp coding life).

Should I make changes to support these old Emacses - and if so, anyone
have any advice about what to do?  I haven't done anything that seems
very out of the ordinary (to me)... I can dig around - but maybe this
issue is familiar to people who lived through the changes you're
talking about, in the flesh.

   Joe,

   I happened to try to load nero.el in Emacs-21.3 today; it fails
   with

   ;;; nero.el --- a fast Lynx-based browser for Emacs
   ;; Copyright (C) 2005 Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu>
   ;; Time-stamp: <jac -- Mon Mar 28 00:36:43 CST 2005>

   load: Symbol's value as variable is void: macro-declaration-function

   Examining the CVS lisp/Changelogs, this is because
   macro-declaration-function didn't exist until March 2002.

   You might want some sort of test like
   (if (fboundp 'macro-declaration-function) ...)
   somewhere, etc.

   2002-03-24  Gerd Moellmann  <gerd@gnu.org>

           * subr.el (macro-declaration-function): New function.  Set the
           variable macro-declaration-function to it.

   now in lisp/byte-run.el
   2005-03-14  Lute Kamstra  <lute@gnu.org>

           * emacs-lisp/debug.el (debugger-make-xrefs): Docstring fix.
           Ignore a `*' at the beginning of a line.

           * subr.el (macro-declaration-function): Move to
emacs-lisp/byte-run.el.

   Cheers,
   Andy Scott